What To Wear on a First Date
So your outfit will all depend on where you are going ….
Is it a coffee date at the local coffee shop? If so, definitely wear something casual. Jeans, casual shirt/sweater and a nice sneaker or casual shoe.
- For the jeans- wear a pair of well fitting jeans (something that will highlight your body) Not too tight or too lose and baggy. My favorite fit is a slim straight for men. A loose or relaxed fit will just make you look heavier.
- Choose a pressed (no wrinkles please) casual button down with a simple print or a solid color. Preferably long sleeve with the sleeves rolled up (just a better age appropriate, distinguished look) Stay away from tee’s that have graphics on them or short sleeve button downs, they just look too young.
- For footwear, try a nicer sneaker (not a running shoe, because you are not going for a jog), casual shoe (something with laces that is not worn out or a boot.
Or are you going out for a drink at a nicer bar or restaurant? Then you should definitely step up your game and look sharp with a nicer, more fun looking button down and a casual blazer and jeans or a casual pant which will go well with a lace up casual shoe or boot.
- Once again make sure the jeans/casual pants fit well. If you are not wearing a sport coat, or you have a charcoal casual sport coat, opt for a dark wash jean or if you are wearing a navy casual blazer, choose a gray wash or gray casual pant, this way you are not wearing the same shade of blue head to toe.
- A pressed long sleeve button down shirt that has a fun print or maybe one that has a bit of color in it. It would be great if the shirt relayed something about your personal style.
- A casual sport coat would really complete this look. A sport coat that has little to no lining and works well with jeans or casual pants.
- Wear a casual lace up shoe or boot with this outfit. It doesn’t have to be uncomfortable, in fact there are a lot of casual shoes in the stores these days that have a more athletic looking sole and are very comfortable.
Overall, just remember you only have 7 seconds to make a great first impression. So make sure you show up wearing an outfit that fits well, is updated, age appropriate and says something about your personality.